Bearnaise Sauce for Two
|White wine vinegar||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoons)|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce, softened (100 g)|
|Meat glaze/Jelly at the base of beef dripping||2 Teaspoon (optional, 10 ml)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon, chopped (Tarragon, Parsley and Chervil, 5 ml)|
|Fresh chives||1 Teaspoon, snipped (5 ml)|
1) In a small saucepan place together vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaf, mace, onion and tarragon leaves.
2) Heat the vinegar mixture to boil until the vinegar has reduced to half.
3) Allow the vinegar mixture to cool.
4) In a small bowl, place the egg yolks with 1/2 oz of the butter and a pinch of salt.
5) Whisk the yolk mixture until smooth.
6) Pass the vinegar mixture through strainer into the yolk mixture and beat well.
7) Over a saucepan of boiling water, place the bowl and turn off the heat.
8) Beat the yolk mixture until it begins to thicken.
9) While still beating add in the remaining butter in small pieces.
10) As all the butter gets absorbed in the sauce, taste and season to taste.
11) Stir in the herbs and serve with grilled meats
Do not reheat or the mixture will curdle.