Simple Tomato Sauce for Two
|Canned tomatoes/Tomatoes- 397 g (14 oz) can, with their juice||1 Pound, skinned and roughly chopped (450 g)|
|Onion||1 Small, skinned and roughly chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), skinned and chopped|
|Celery stick||1 , sliced|
|Parsley sprigs||1 , chopped|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
1) In a saucepan, place together tomatoes, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf, parsley, sugar and seasoning.
2) Heat the tomato mixture to the boil.
3) Cook over low heat, for 30 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4) Take out the bay leaf and discard.
5) In an electric blender or food processor, place the tomato mixture.
6) Process to puree until smooth.
7) Reheat, and check for seasoning and adjust if needed.
8)Serve hot or leave to cool and store in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 14
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.5%
Saturated Fat 0.28 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1033.8 mg43.1%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.2%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 10 g19.1%
Vitamin A 70.3% Vitamin C 92.8%
Calcium 21.8% Iron 37.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet