Mackerel with Gooseberry Sauce
|For the gooseberry sauce|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Court-bouillon||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Pint|
|Castor sugar||2 Teaspoon|
1) Wash the gooseberries. In a pan of water, add in the gooseberries and allow it to boil. Cover the pan and cook on simmer till the berries soften.
2) Take the berries off the heat. Beat to a puree along with lemon rind, sugar and a pat of butter.
3) Into a saucepan with water, add in the peeled onion, wine, salt, sugar and crushed peppercorns.
4) Add in washed mackarel into the pan. Let it boil then simmer for 10 minutes or till the fish becomes tender.
5) Heat the gooseberry sauce again and transfer into a warm sauce boat.
6) Without breaking their skin, drain the mackerel.
7) Place the fish on a warm serving plate.
8) Serve with the gooseberry sauce.
Calories 550 Calories from Fat 283
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48.4%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 157.5 mg52.5%
Sodium 7421.4 mg309.2%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.1%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 42 g84.6%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 17.2%
Calcium 4% Iron 21.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet