Fish in A Crust with Mornay Sauce
|Uncooked brown rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced celery||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sliced green onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Pie crust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Flounder fillets||24 Ounce (4 In Number, 6 Ounce Each)|
|Cold water||1 Teaspoon|
|Watercress||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm)|
|To make the mornay sauce:|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shredded swiss cheese||1 Ounce (1/4 Cup)|
1. Preheat the oven at 425°.
2. Cook brown rice according to the package directions.
3. In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp and remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
4. Drain bacon well, crumble and set aside.
5. Saute mushrooms, celery, onions and almonds in drippings until almonds are golden brown.
6. Stir rice, bacon and soy sauce into vegetable mixture and set aside.
7. Prepare pie crust mix according to package directions for a double-crust pie.
8. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
9. Divide pastry in half and roll out 1 portion of pastry diagonally across the greased sheet making a large oval about 1/8 inch thick.
10. Out of brown paper make a fish pattern (about 16 1/2 inches long and 7 inches at widest point).
11. Lay pattern on pastry, cut around pattern using a sharp knife and lift off pattern and pastry scraps.
12. Add scraps to remaining pastry.
13. Spread about two-thirds of rice mixture over pastry, spreading to within 1 inch of edges.
14. Arrange fillets to cover rice, dividing fillets as necessary to ensure coverage.
To make the Mornay Sauce :
15. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan melt butter over low heat and add flour, stirring until smooth.
16. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
17. Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
18. Stir in salt and pepper.
19. In a bowl beat egg yolk until thick and lemon colored and stir in whipping cream.
20. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolk and add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
21. Cook over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
22. Add cheese, stir until melted and remove from heat.
23. Spoon Mornay Sauce over fish and top with remaining rice mixture.
24. On a lightly floured surface roll out remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness.
25. Drape pastry over filling trim edges of pastry to extend 1/2 inch beyond bottom pastry and reserve scraps.
26. Tuck top pastry under bottom pastry.
27. Roll out pastry scraps to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out eye, mouth, gill and fins.
28. In a bowl beat egg and water until frothy.
29. Brush back of eye, mouth, gill, and fins with egg, and attach to fish.
30. With the tines of a fork press edges of fish to seal.
31. On body of fish snip through pastry with sharp scissors to make scales.
32. Brush pastry with egg mixture, without letting the egg drip onto baking sheet.
33. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
34. If edges of fish brown too quickly cover with strips of foil.
35. Let it stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
36. Carefully transfer to serving platter, garnish with watercress and lemon wedges and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3847 Calories from Fat 1905
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 216 g332.1%
Saturated Fat 75.9 g379.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 909.6 mg303.2%
Sodium 5555.5 mg231.5%
Total Carbohydrates 328 g109.3%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44.2%
Sugars 36.2 g
Protein 153 g305.3%
Vitamin A 91.5% Vitamin C 75.9%
Calcium 106.6% Iron 77.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet