Chicken with Garlic Vinegar Sauce
|Ginger slices||5 (3 Inch Slices)|
|Spring onions||4 , cut into 3 inches pieces|
|Whole chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Oil||2 Pint (1.1 Liter)|
|For the sauce|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Cider vinegar/Chinese white rice vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Spring onions||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
1. Take salt and rub all over the chicken, stuff the cavity with the ginger and spring onions and leave the chicken at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Set up a steamer or put a rack into a wok or deep pan and fill it with 2 inches (5 cm) of water.
3. Boil the water on high heat and put the chicken onto a plate and carefully lower it into the steamer or onto the rack.
4. Lower the heat, cover tightly and steam gently for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through to the bone (replenish the water from time to time).
5. Take out the chicken and allow it cool and dry (this takes about 3 hours).
6. Wipe and pat dry the chicken completely with a paper towel and cut it in half, lengthways.
7. In a bowl mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
8. In a deep fat fryer or a large wok heat oil and fry the chicken halves one by one until it is golden and crisp.
9. Drain on paper towel and cut into bite sized pieces
10. To serve, arrange the pieces on a warm platter, and pour the sauce over the top and serve hot.
Calories 2754 Calories from Fat 2508
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 283 g435.1%
Saturated Fat 43.4 g217.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 212.6 mg70.9%
Sodium 1750.9 mg73%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.77 g3.1%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 54 g108%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C 17.4%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 16.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet