Spinach Crepes with Spicy Tomato Sauce
|Plain flour||6 Tablespoon|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frozen spinach||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Packet)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Ricotta cheese||1⁄2 Pound (250 Grams)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, freshly grated (Or As Required)|
|Nutmeg||1 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
|Bacon rashers||4 , rind removed and diced|
|Onions||2 , peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, peeled (1 Large Can)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Sauce : In a saucepan, saute the bacon over a medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
2) In the same saucepan, add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaf and beef stock.
3) Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
4) In a small bowl, blend the cornflour and wine together along with sugar.
5) Discard the bay leaf and press the tomato mixture through a sieve.
6) Return the mixture to the saucepan, stir in the cornflour mixture.
7) Stir continuously and cook until the mixture comes to a boil and acquires a thick consistency.
8) Stir in the bacon, taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a little Worcestershire sauce, if desired.
9) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
10) Crepes : In a bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
11) In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs and combine with the milk and melted butter.
12) Make a depression in centre of theflour, pour in the egg mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is a smooth creamy batter.
13) Stir in the brandy, cover the bowl and stand for minimun 1 to 2 hours.
14) In a heated, heavy based pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of butter.
15) Spoon in about 2 tablespoons of the batter then tilt the pan and allow the batter to spread evenly.
16) Cook over a medium heat until the lower side is golden, then turn, cook on the other side and transfer to a hot plate.
17) Repeat until all the batter has been used and stack the crepes one by one as cooked.
18) Filling : In a saucepan, cook the spinach in butter for about 5 minutes.
19) Season with salt and pepper to taste; drain thoroughly.
20) Then combine with the ricotta cheese, egg, 1-2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, cream and nutmeg; mix thoroughly.
21) Spread the spinach filling generously over each crepe and roll them up.
22) In a well buttered ovenproof dish , arrange the filled crepes side by side and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
23) Before serving, brush the crepes with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
24) Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
25) Place 2-3 crepes on each plate, top with a few spoonsful of the sauce and serve the Spinach Crepes with Spicy Tomato Sauce immediately.