Duck with Orange Sauce
|Duck||7 Pound (1 whole or 2 ducks 4 pound each)|
|For orange sauce|
|Brown sauce||4 Tablespoon (but omit Madeira and cognac, adjust quantity as needed)|
|Frozen orange juice concentrate||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Grand marnier||2 Tablespoon|
|Oranges||2 , sectioned|
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Clean duck and discard giblets.
3. Rub salt and pepper in the cavity.
4. Tie the opening.
5. Scald with boiling water to drain out fat during cooking.
6. With a knife make small slits in thigh, back, and lower breast areas.
7. Roast duck at 425 °F on both sides for 1 hour.
8. Decrease heat to 325°F and cook 6- to 7-pound duck for 1 more hour or 3- to 4-pound duck 30 minutes more.
9. Increase heat to 425°F for a few minutes to brown duck.
10. To prepare orange sauce, in a pan mix sugar and vinegar and boil briefly. Let it cool.
11. Add Brown Sauce, and stir over heat to dissolve.
12. Mix orange and lemon juices and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
13. Add cornstarch with Madeira and add to the sauce.
14. Simmer for 1 -2 minutes.
15. Add cognac, Grand Marnier, and orange sections to the sauce.
16. Let the roasted duck stand for 10 minutes before carving.
17. Spoon some hot sauce over carved duck.
18. Serve rest of sauce separately.