|Ripe tomatoes||14 Pound (Slightly ripe, 42 medium or 26 large)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Canning or pickling)|
|Green peppers||6 Large|
|Sweet red peppers||6 Large|
|Red apples||6 Large, unpeeled|
|Cabbage head||1 Medium|
|Sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||4 Cup (64 tbs) (5% acid strength)|
|Mixed pickling spices||6 Tablespoon (1 1/4 ounce package)|
1. Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds until the skin is loose.
2. Transfer tomatoes to cold water for cooling.
3. Remove skin from tomatoes and core; dice and keep aside in a 2 gallon glass bowl.
4. Add ¼ cup salt, mix well and let stand for 3 hours at room temperature.
5. Drain and rinse.
6. Deseed pepper and remove membranes.
7. Core apple and cabbage.
8. In a food chopper with coarse blade, chop apples and cabbage with tomatoes.
9. In a 5 quart kettle, cook tomato mixture for 5 minutes with constant stirring.
10. Stir in sugar, 1/4 c salt and vinegar
11. In a cheesecloth bag, put together spices and add to the kettle.
12. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes with frequent stirring.
13. Remove and discard spice bag.
14. Into a 2 gallon glass bowl, pour the mixture, cover and let stand for 12-18 hours or overnight in a cool place.
15. Into a 6 quart kettle, return the mixture, cover and heat until it starts to boil.
16. Into 12 hot pint jars, spoon mixture leaving 1/4 inch empty on top of the jar.
17. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
18. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 15 minutes; start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
19. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
20. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
21. Serve Governor'S Sauce with deep fried foods or with burgers.