Baked Lamb Shanks with Tomato Sauce
|Lamb shanks||3 Pound, fat trimmed off (4 In Number, 3/4 Pound Each)|
|Olive oil||4 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Ground allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degree F
2. Arrange the lamb shanks in a roasting or baking pan.
3. Glaze with oil and transfer to the oven
4. Brown the shanks for 15 minutes on each side.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degree F.
6. Remove pan from the oven and layer the onion slices over the lamb shanks.
7. Sprinkle with the spices and seasonings.
8. Cover the pan and return the lamb to the oven for another 30 minutes or until they are almost tender.
9. Transfer the shanks and onions to serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm and allow meat to continue to cook in the steam.
10. Add the tomatoes to the drippings in the pan and cook over the stove, simmering and stirring until the tomatoes turn into a saucy consistency.
11. Serve the lamb shanks with the tomato sauce spoons on top.
12. Accompany with a pilaf or with crusty bread if you like.
Calories 837 Calories from Fat 467
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g79.8%
Saturated Fat 20.7 g103.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 227.9 mg76%
Sodium 940.2 mg39.2%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.1%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 68 g135.2%
Vitamin A 26.8% Vitamin C 42.7%
Calcium 12.5% Iron 48%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet