Blinchiki with Blueberry Grape Sauce
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, freshly squeezed|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, melted and cooled|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the blueberry grape sauce:|
|Unsweetened frozen blueberries||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thawed|
|Red grape juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a small bowl, mix together skim milk and lemon juice and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder into another small bowl and whisk to blend.
To prepare the Blinchiki batter
1. In a medium-size bowl, combine the egg, milk mixture, butter, honey, and vanilla.
2. Add flour mixture to the liquid, whisking quickly and gently, just until well blended.
3. Cover and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour.
To make the Blinchikis
4. Spray an 8-inch nonstick skillet lightly with vegetable spray or use oil.
5. Heat the pan over medium heat. To check whether the pan is hot enough, sprinkle a few drops of water and wait for them to bounce and dance around.
6. Pour ¼ cups of the batter into skillet, and swirl the pan to spread the batter in a thin even layer.
7. Cook the crepe until bubbles form, then quickly loosen with your fingers and flip over. Cook on the other side for 30 seconds.
8. Remove blinchiki onto a waxed paper and continue making remaining crepes until all the batter is used up.
To make the Blueberry sauce.
9. In a medium-size saucepan, blend the cornstarch in water and stir in the grape juice, honey and blueberries.
10. Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly until it is thick and bubbly.
11. Take pan off the heat and let the sauce cool slightly.
12. On dessert plates, arrange the Blinchikis in an attractive manner. You can roll them, fold them or serve them flat if you like.
13. Spoon the Blueberry Grape Sauce generously over the Blinchikis and serve warm or cold.
Calories 215 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 62.1 mg20.7%
Sodium 150.4 mg6.3%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 16.4 g
Protein 6 g11.8%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 6.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet