Sauerbraten With Raisin Sauce
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Lean beef pot roast||3 Pound (Bottom Of The Round)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger snaps||2 Ounce, crushed|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon, mixed to a paste in 2 tablespoons cold water|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon, mixed with flour|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pot roast gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a large glass bowl, place together vinegar, water, bay leaf, peppercorn, mustard an onion.
2) Place the meat in the bowl and put the lid on.
3) Refrigerate the meat for 3 days.
4) Turn meat in marinade twice a day.
5) Remove the meat from the refrigerator.
6) Take the meat out of marinade, and reserve the marinade.
7) In a large non-stick pan, heat oil brown the meat on all the sides.
8) Put the meat in the slow cooker.
9) In the same pan, heat wine and ¼ cup of reserved marinade.
10) Simmer stirring constantly to remove the bits from the pan.
11) Slowly stream the wine mixture over the meat.
12) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 to 10 hours.
14) Remove the meat from the gravy, and slice the meat and keep warm.
15) Skim off the fat from gravy and pour into a saucepan.
16) Mix in ginger snaps, flour-water mixture, and raisins.
17) Heat to boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
18) Stream the cream if desired.
19) Add salt to taste.
20) Place the meat slice in the serving dish and spoon the gravy over it, serve hot.
Calories 402 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.9%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g26.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.3 mg13.1%
Sodium 822.4 mg34.3%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.4%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 15 g29.9%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 22.6%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet