Cornish Game Hens With Cumberland Sauce
|Cornish game hens||6 , thawed, rinsed, patted dry|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the cumberland sauce:|
|Shallot||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Orange rind||1 , julienned to make strips (Use Whole Rind Of 1 Fruit)|
|Lemon rind||1 , julienned to make strips (Use Whole Rind Of 1 Fruit)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Orange||3 , juiced (Juice Extracted From 1 Whole Fruit)|
|Red currant jelly||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|Port wine||5 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Pull the wings of the game hens back and tie their legs together. Place the hens on a large roasting pan.
3) Brush them with melted butter.
4) Into the roasting pan, pour wine and chicken stock.
5) Bake without cover for about 45 minutes or till the juices from the meat start to run clear.
6) Transfer the baked hens to the serving platter. Untie their legs. Set aside and prepare the cumberland sauce in the meantime.
7) In a saucepan, parboil the shallot for 2 minutes. Drain it.
8) Similarly parboil the orange and lemon rinds for about 5 minutes. Drain them as well.
9) In a bowl, mix together shallot, orange and lemon rinds, ginger, cayenne, orange and lemon juices, red currant jelly, wine and mustard.
10) In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in a little water. Stir it into the jelly sauce. Cook till the mixture boils and has thickened slightly.
11) Serve the Cornish Game Hens with warm cumberland sauce.