Water -150 milliliter/1/4 pint
Caster sugar - 40 grams/1 1/2 ounces
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Cornflour - 2 x 5 milliliter spoons/2 teaspoons
Cherry brandy or kirsch (optional) - 1 x 15 milliliter spoon/1 tablespoon
1. In a saucepan, add the cherries with the water, sugar and lemon juice.
2. Close the saucepan with lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl blend the cornflour (cornstarch) to a paste with a little water, then stir in 2 tablespoons of the cherry liquid.
4. Add this mixture into the pan, stir and then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Take away from the heat and stir in the cherry brandy or kirsch, if using.
6. IF STORING BY FREEZING: Cool the sauce to room temperature, then pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
7. Use the sauce as an accompaniment for pastries of your choice.
8. IF USING A FROZEN SAUCE: Thaw in the container at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours till the sauce is in its liquid form. Use as above.