Classic Bread Sauce
Peppercorns - 6
Mace - 1 blade
Bay leaf - 1
Milk - 300 milliliter /1/2 pint
Butter - 25 grams/1 ounces
Fresh white breadcrumbs - 50 grams / 2 ounces
Single cream - 2 x 15 milliliter spoons/2 tablespoons
Salt - to taste
Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
1. In a pan, add the onion, peppercorns, mace, bay leaf, milk and butter. Slowly let it come to a boil.
2. Cover pan with lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Through a sieve, strain the milk into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
5. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: Thaw at room temperature for 2 hours, then reheat gently on top of the stove, stirring occasionally .Use as required.