Black currants - 450 grams/1 pound
Water - 4x15 milliliter spoons/4 tablespoons
Caster sugar - Approximately 100 grams/4 ounces or to taste
1. In a saucepan, add the black currants and water, cover and simmer until the fruit is soft. This will take about 10 minutes.
2. Add sugar to sweeten.
3. Through a fine sieve(strainer), work the fruit and juice to a smooth puree, or work in an electric blender, then strain.
4. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Cool the sauce a bit, then pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
5. OR YOU MAY: Freeze in an ice-cube tray until solid, then pack the cubes in a freezer bag. Seal, label and return to the freezer.
6. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: Thaw in the container at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours till the sauce is in its liquid form.
7. OR YOU MAY: Use frozen cubes as required.