Rich Brown Sauce
|Lard||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||2 , rinds removed, chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Mushroom stalks||1 Ounce, chopped (25 Gram)|
|Flour||15 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Tomato puree||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Worcestershire sauce||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a pan, melt the lard. Cook bacon for 2 minutes.
2. Put in the vegetables and sautÃ© for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add in the flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
4. Take away from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and the remaining ingredients.
5. Keep the pan back on the heat source, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
6. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring at regular intervals.
7. Through a seive, strain, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
8. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
9. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: reheat from frozen on top of the stove, stirring occasionally. Use as needed.