Rich Brown Sauce
|Lard||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||2 , rinds removed, chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Mushroom stalks||1 Ounce, chopped (25 Gram)|
|Flour||15 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Tomato puree||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Worcestershire sauce||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a pan, melt the lard. Cook bacon for 2 minutes.
2. Put in the vegetables and sautÃ© for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add in the flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
4. Take away from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and the remaining ingredients.
5. Keep the pan back on the heat source, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
6. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring at regular intervals.
7. Through a seive, strain, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
8. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
9. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: reheat from frozen on top of the stove, stirring occasionally. Use as needed.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 726 Calories from Fat 394
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.3%
Saturated Fat 18.6 g93%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.3 mg18.4%
Sodium 2547.4 mg106.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22%
Sugars 17.1 g
Protein 36 g72.3%
Vitamin A 207.5% Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 15.4% Iron 30.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet