Vegan Tomato Sauce
|Corn oil||60 Milliliter (4X15Milliliter Tablespoon)|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Tomatoes||12 Ounce (800 Gram Or 2 Pound Can)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Tomato puree||2 Tablespoon (2X15Milliliter Spoon)|
|Stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
1. In a pan, heat the oil, put in the onion and garlic and fry gently until soft.
2. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, tomato puree, bay leaves and stock. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until quite thick, stirring occasionally.
3. Discard the bay leaves. In an electric blender or Mouli-legumes (food mill), or rub through a sieve (strainer), work the sauce to a smooth puree.
4. Pour back to the pan and simmer, uncovered, until thick.
5. Check seasoning.
6. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
7. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: In a saucepan, reheat gently from frozen on top of the stove, stirring occasionally. Use as needed.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 871 Calories from Fat 560
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.5%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.2%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 2.4 mg0.8%
Sodium 806.5 mg33.6%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.6%
Sugars 38 g
Protein 14 g28.7%
Vitamin A 62.7% Vitamin C 135.6%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 20.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet