Leeks in Tuna Sauce
|Leeks||4 Large, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks|
|Half-and-half||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Gruyere cheese||3 Ounce, diced into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Tuna fish||6 1⁄2 Ounce, packed in oil or water (1 Can)|
|Ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||2 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
1. Drain tuna, flake it with a fork into small chunks.
2. In a steamer basket, steam the leeks for about 6 minutes or until just tender.
3. Place in 2 lightly buttered individual casseroles and place in the oven to keep warm.
4. For the cheese sauce, in a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour; cook for about 3 minutes or until faintly golden, stirring continuously to mix well.
5. Gradually add half-and-half, a little at a time, stirring well with each addition to keep the paste smooth.
6. As the sauce thins, you will be able to pour half-and-half in more quickly; continue stirring until sauce thickens.
7. Cook for about 2 more minutes, stirring continuously, then reduce heat to low.
8. Add cheese to sauce, stirring gently to mix well.
9. Add the fish and pepper add to the sauce.
10. When cheese begins to melt, spoon sauce over leeks.
11. Finely chop remaining cheese and strew over each dish.
12. Sprinkle walnuts over cheese, place casseroles under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes or until deep golden and bubbly.
13. Garnish with grated cheese and serve hot with toasted garlic bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1612 Calories from Fat 777
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 89 g137.2%
Saturated Fat 39.8 g199.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 255.5 mg85.2%
Sodium 571.4 mg23.8%
Total Carbohydrates 123 g40.8%
Dietary Fiber 15.9 g63.6%
Sugars 29.5 g
Protein 90 g179.8%
Vitamin A 355.9% Vitamin C 148%
Calcium 151.4% Iron 107.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet