Lettuce Parcels With Carrot Sauce
|Carrot||2 Small, grated or finely diced|
|Cabbage||3 Cup (48 tbs), finely shredded|
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated (use any cheese of your choice like mozzarella, feta, ricotta, cheddar)|
|Sunflower seed kernels||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Iceberg lettuce leaves||12|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock cube||1 Large, rumbled|
1. Prepare the vegetables according to the ingredient list.
2. Boil, steam or microwave the potatoes until they are fork tender.
3. Drain them then peel when lightly cooled. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, boil, steam or microwave the cabbage and carrot together until tender crisp.
5. Drain and the carrot and cabbage and mix with the mashed potatoes.
6. In a medium saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic in it until soft, about 3 minutes.
7. Add the potato mixture, cheese, kernels, linseeds and herbs. Mix thoroughly.
8. Take pan off the heat and set aside.
9. Into a large saucepan of boiling water, drop the lettuce leaves and blanch them for not more than 1 minute.
10. Drain the lettuce quickly and plunge them into cold water to arrest further cooking.
11. Drain the leaves from the cold water and pat them dry on paper toweling.
12. To make the carrot sauce, combine the 3 ingredients in a saucepan.
13. Boil the carrots in the stock then reduce heat and simmer them for 20 minutes or cook in the microwave on HIGH for 6 minutes, or until the carrots are very tender.
14. Puree the carrots in a food processor or liquidizer into a smooth sauce, adjusting the seasoning if you like.
15. Just prior to serving, spoon the prepared mixture in center or each lettuce leaf and roll firmly and neatly like a parcel.
16. Arrange the parcels on dinner plates, and spoon the carrot sauce over them.
17. Serve them warm or cold.
The lettuce parcels should be prepared close to serving time
The carrot sauce can be made a day ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.