|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Water||1⁄3 Pint (1 1/2 gills)|
1. Using a scraper or a peeler, thinly peel the zest from half lemon.
2. In a small saucepan, put in zest, 1 gill water and the sugar and bring to the boil. Close the pan and let it stand for 10 minutes, then strain the liquid.
3. In a small basin, add arrowroot and mix to form to a smooth paste with 1/2 gill cold water.
4. Pour in in the heated water, stir and return to the pan. Stirring continuously, bring to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Take away from heat and mix in the juice of the lemon.
6. You may reheat if needed, but do not boil.
7. Serve as an accompaniment for pastries and breads.