Onion White Sauce
|Plain flour||2 Ounce|
1. Peel onions. In a pan, cook onions in boiling salted water until soft. Drain well and chop finely.
2. Make White Sauce by Roux method: In a saucepan over low heat, melt 2 ounces margarine.
3. Add in flour and whisk with a wire whisk. Cook over low heat for three minutes, stirring constantly (This mixture is called a roux). Do not allow the mixture to brown.
4. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat for 3-5 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Season to taste.
5. Remove from heat. Mix in onions. Reheat gently, do not over cook.
6. Serve separately with salads, appetizers, or use to toss salads of your choice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 775 Calories from Fat 448
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g77.5%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g53.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12 mg4%
Sodium 72.9 mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.9%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 10 g19.7%
Vitamin A 43.1% Vitamin C 28.1%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet