Endive Rolls In Cheese Sauce
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Belgian endive heads||8 Large|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooked ham slices||8|
1) Preheat the broiler.
2) Grease an ovenproof dish.
3) In a saucepan, melt half butter and add endive, lemon juice, sugar and seasoning.
4) Cover and cook gently for about 30 minutes, turning the endive occasionally.
5) Meanwhile, make the sauce.
6) in another saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of remaining butter and stir in the flour.
7) Remove from heat and gradually add milk.
8) Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.
9) Remove from heat and stir in a pinch of nutmeg, egg yolks, cheese and seasoning.
10) With a slotted spoon, lift out endive.
11) Reserve cooking liquid.
12) Wrap each endive head in a slice of ham and arrange in a greased ovenproof dish.
13) Add reserved liquid to sauce, heat well, then pour over endive.
14) Dot with the rest of the butter and broil for 5-10 minutes till golden on top.
15) Serve the cheesy rolls immediately.