Clams and Mussels with Vegetable Sauce
|Diced carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White of leek||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thoroughly washed|
|Dry white table wine/Dry vermouth||2 Tablespoon|
|Whipped butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mussels||6 , scrubbed|
|Plum tomatoes||2 , chopped|
|Chopped italian flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon (fresh)|
1) In a microwavable pie-plate of 9 inches, combine together the wine (or vermouth), vegetables, thyme, butter, salt and pepper.
2) Use vented plastic wrap to cover the plate and microwave on HIGH (100%) for 4 minutes, till the vegetables are tender, stirring once halfway through the cooking.
3) Stir the vegetables and move them to the center of the pie plate.
4) Around the outer edge of the plate, arrange the clams with the hinged side of each clam towards the rim of the plate. Between each clam, leave a space.
5) Loosely cover the plate with plastic wrap and microwave once again on HIGH for 3 minutes, till the clam shells start to open and turn white. 1 minute into cooking, rotate the plate ½ turn.
6) Arrange the musses between the clams on the plate. Keep the hinged side of each mussel towards the plate-€™s rim. With tomatoes and parsley, top the vegetable mixture.
7) With plastic wrap, loosely cover the plate and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, till the mussel and clam shells open. Halfway through cooking, rotate the plate ½.
8) Serve the Clams and Mussels with Vegetable Sauce while still hot. Transfer to a decorative serving platter to serve. Makes a good main course dish.
Calories 254 Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.8%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g20.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 76.8 mg25.6%
Sodium 554.6 mg23.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.5%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 24 g48.4%
Vitamin A 154.9% Vitamin C 44.9%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 21.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet