Roast Chicken With Morel Sauce
|Free range chicken||5 Pound (1 Whole Chicken, Weighing 3 1/2 To 5 Pounds)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small, halved|
|Morels/1 1/2 ounce dried morels||3⁄4 Ounce (Fresh)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 450° F.
2) Remove and discard the excess fat from the chicken.
3) Remove the tips off the chicken wings.
4) Rub butter all over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
5) Stuff a small, halved onion in the cavity of the chicken.
6) On a roasting pan, arrange the chicken with the breasts facing upwards.
7) Turn down the oven temperature to 350° F when you place the roasting pan inside.
8) Roast the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours. Check to see if the juices run clear by pricking the thigh region with a fork.
9) Baste the chicken with its own juices in between the cooking time. Remove onto a serving plate and wrap with an aluminium foil.
10) Rinse the fresh mushrooms. Chop up finely.
11) If using dried morels, soak in a cup of hot water for about 10 minutes till it swells up. Strain the liquid through a double folded cheesecloth. Set aside.
12) Put the roasting pan on high flame after skimming the cooked fat from it. Add in the wine and whisk to dislodge any bits stuck to the pan.
13) Continue boiling till the wine reduces to about as little as a tablespoon.
14) Add in the chicken stock and boil till it reduces by half.
15) Transfer the liquid into a smaller saucepan. Add in the fresh morels. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame. Dried morels will take about 20 minutes.
16) Take the lid off, add cream, mushroom liquid if using dried morels and cook on high flame. Boil till the liquid reduces by half.
17) When thickened to a custard-like consistency, add in salt and pepper.
18) Slice the roasted chicken into 8 pieces.
19) Arrange on a serving plate. Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
20) Serve hot.
Calories 226 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.6 mg23.5%
Sodium 945.6 mg39.4%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g1.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.48 g1.9%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 3 g6.6%
Vitamin A 18.3% Vitamin C 6.7%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet