Tomato Ranchero Sauce
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 , seeded, coarsely chopped|
|Yellow onion||1 , halved, peeled|
|Veal shank bones||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1-inch sections|
|Shallots||3 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Carrot||1⁄2 , peeled, coarsely chopped|
|Poblano chili||1 , destemmed and de seeded, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Veal demi glace||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red peppers||1⁄2 , medium diced|
|Green peppers||1⁄2 , medium diced|
|Yellow peppers||1⁄2 , medium diced|
|Lime||1⁄2 , juiced|
1) Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2) In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on high flame. When the oil just starts to smoke, add in onion, tomatoes and saute till the onions become tender and the tomatoes release its juice. Take the skillet off the flame and let cool.
3) In a roasting pan, place the veal bones and roast for about 35 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove the bones from the pan and keep aside.
4) In a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of oil. When it starts smoking, add in shallots, onion, celery, carrot and chili. Saute till the vegetable have browned.
5) Mix in roasted veal bones, garlic and chicken stock. Let the mixture come to a boil. Simmer for about 1/2 hour till the mixture is reduced to half. Add in the cilantro and demi-glace. Continue to simmer for 60 more minutes.
6) At the end of cooking, there should be 2 cups of sauce.
7) Take the sauted tomato and onion mixture and mash using a food mill. Keep aside.
8) Strain the veal sauce through a strainer. Add in tomato-onion paste, diced peppers, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
9) The sauce must measure up to 2 1/2 cups to be of the right consistency. Add in more stock or less to set the measurement right.
10) Serve the Tomato Rachero Sauce warm alongside grilled veal loin steaks.