Cauliflower Fritters With Special Sauce
|For the sauce|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Tomatoes||8 Ounce, peeled (225 Gram)|
|Dried mixed herbs/Basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream cheese||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|For the batter|
|Plain flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Tepid water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
1. Prepare cauliflower, discarding all the green, and break into sprigs.
2. Place in a large pan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook until just tender, 5-10 minutes depending on the size.
3. Drain and refresh in cold water to cool. Dry on kitchen paper.
4. To make the sauce, fry the onion in the butter or margarine until soft for about 10 minutes without browning.
5. Chop the tomatoes, add to the onion with the herbs, pepper, salt and cook gently for 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from the heat and gradually beat in the cream cheese until it is blended. Keep on one side.
7. Prepare deep fat pan, heat the oil to 180°C, 350°F, or until a piece of bread chopped and dropped in cooks to a golden colour in 10 seconds.
8. Meanwhile, make the fritter batter. Blend the flour, oil, water and a pinch of salt together until a smooth consistency. Beat well.
9. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter mixture.
10. Dip the cauliflower in the batter, turning in the batter with 2 skewers to coat completely.
11. Lift out one at a time and fry a few at a time for 3-4 minutes.
12. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Keep hot until all the florets are fried.
13. Reheat the sauce and serve at once.