|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk/Light cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), grated|
1. In medium saucepan, slowly heat butter just until melted and golden, not browned, stirring all the while. Remove from heat.
2. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth.
3. Add milk, a small amount at a time, stirring after each addition. Return to heat.
4. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5. Add mustard and grated cheese to the white sauce and stir over low heat, just until cheese is melted and sauce is hot.
6. Serve vegetables as broccoli and asparagus or use in casseroles.