Mushroom Sauce With Herbs
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Mixed herbs||1 Pinch, dried|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint|
1) Peel and finely chop the onion.
2) Slice the mushrooms.
3) In a frying pan, melt half the butter over a low heat.
4) Add onion to the pan and fry very gently for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft but not browned.
5) Meanwhile trim and wash the mushrooms in cold water, then drain and slice.
6) Add the remaining butter and the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook them gently for about 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
7) When the mushroom juices begin to run, season well with salt and pepper, add the herbs and stir in the flour.
8) Stir in the cream and bring to the boil, stirring gently until the sauce has thickened.
9) Simmer for a moment.
10) Serve the sauce with steaks, lamb or veal chops, grilled or fried chicken, or with omelettes.
Very small tightly closed mushrooms must be used for this recipe, as mushrooms that are open will discolor the sauce, making it dark.