Homemade Mint Sauce
|Fresh mint||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Good Handful)|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1 Tablespoon|
1) Strip the leaves from the mint and wash.
2) Chop finely and put in a small basin with sugar.
3) Add boiling water to dissolve the sugar and then add the vinegar.
This makes a sharp flavoured sauce.
4) Alternatively, put the chopped mint leaves in a mortar and sprinkle with sugar; use about 1 tablespoon, the quantity of sugar depends on how sweet you like it.
5) Pound in the mortar with the pestle until fairly well crushed.
6) Leave for 1/2 hour, and by this time the sugar will have extracted the juice from the mint.
(The boiling water is not required when using this method.) Give a final pounding and add vinegar according to taste.
7) Serve the mint sauce with lamb dishes or with the snacks of your choice.