Basic White Sauce Bechamel
|Enriched all purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Skim milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), heated|
|White pepper||1 Dash|
1) Heat the margarine till it is bubbly in a small saucepan.
2) Add the flour and cook over low heat, constantly stirring, for about 3 minutes.
3) Take the pan off the heat.
4) With a small wire whisk, stir in the heated milk gradually. Continue stirring till the mixture is smooth.
5) Add the salt and pepper, and if using, the nutmeg.
6) Cook the mixture over moderate heat, constantly stirring, till it has thickened.
7) Reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook, occasionally stirring, for 15 minutes more.
8) Serve as preferred.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 486 Calories from Fat 224
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.8%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.3 mg3.1%
Sodium 492.5 mg20.5%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.89 g3.6%
Sugars 23.7 g
Protein 19 g38%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 7.9%
Calcium 57.7% Iron 9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet