Basic Brown Sauce
|Enriched all purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Diced carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Diced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant beef broth and seasoning mix||2 (2 Packets)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Thyme leaves||1 Pinch|
1) Heat the margarine over moderate heat in a medium saucepan till it is bubbly.
2) Add the flour and cook, constantly stirring, for about 3 minutes.
3) Add the celery, carrot and onion.
4) Continue to cook and stir till the vegetables have browned lightly. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
5) Take the pan off the heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients.
6) Put the pan back on the heat.
7) Bring the mixture to a boil.
8) Reduce the heat and gently simmer, occasionally stirring, for about 45 minutes.
9) Allow the mixture to slightly cool down.
10) Take out and discard the bay leaf.
11) Put the sauce on a blender container and process till it is smooth.
12) Serve as preferred.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 221
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.3%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 81.7 mg3.4%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.1%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 6 g11.2%
Vitamin A 151.6% Vitamin C 25.9%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 20.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet