Eggplant In Spicy Tomato Sauce
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Large One Or 750 Grams)|
|Vegetable oil||9 Tablespoon (Approximately)|
|Ginger piece||1 , peeled|
|Fresh ginger piece||1 , peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled (Medium Sized)|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon (Whole Ones)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Whole Ones)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, chopped|
|Ground coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. Slice the eggplant into halve lengthwise and crosswise into 1 cm (1/2 inch) pieces.
3. Brush 3 tablespoons of the oil on every slice.
4. Take a large broiling tray and arrange the eggplant in single layer.
5. Broil for 7 minutes or until browned, at 7 1/2 cm (3 inches) from heat source.
6. In the meantime, in food processor or blender, mix together ginger, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of water. Keep it aside.
7. In large skillet, heat remaining 6 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Let it hot.
8. Add fennel and cumin seeds, and sizzle for 30 seconds or until seeds turn a shade darker.
9. Add ginger-garlic puree and cook for 1 minute. Keep stirring.
10. Add chopped tomatoes, coriander, salt, tumeric, and Cayenne, and bring to a simmer.
11. Cook, turn heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes.
12. Roll the browned eggplant slices in tomato sauce and simmer.
13. Cover and cook over low heat another for 3 to 5 minutes.
14. Serve in a serving dish.