Eggplant Mozzarella Grinders With Tomato Spinach Sauce
|Olive oil||1 2⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||35 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned tomatoes||35 Ounce, crushed (1 Can)|
|Fresh spinach||3⁄4 Pound, finely chopped, washed, and dried|
|Spinach||3⁄4 Pound, finely chopped|
|Fresh basil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), snipped|
|Basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Purple eggplant||2 Medium, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds, lightly salted and placed in a large colander to drain for 35 minutes.|
|Eggplants||2 Medium, salted|
|Part skim mozzarella||6 Ounce, sliced / grated|
|Part skim mozzarella||6 Ounce, sliced|
|Baguettes||2 Medium, cut in half|
|Baguettes||2 Medium, cut in half and sliced open horizontally|
1. Heat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. In a large Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, sautÃ© the onion stirring often, until it is soft and then sautÃ© in garlic stirring constantly, until it is fragrant.
3. Raising the heat, add the water and simmer the ingredients for 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes.
5. Add the spinach and basil, stirring the sauce until the spinach is wilted, season the sauce with the salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Rinse the eggplant rounds very well, pat them dry and place on 2 large baking sheets.
7. With the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil brush both sides of the eggplant rounds and bake until they are soft and golden, approximately 20 minutes.
8. With sauce cover the bottom of a medium-sized casserole, place a layer of eggplant, then layer with cheese and another layer of sauce.
9. Repeat with the remaining eggplant and sauce, finishing with a layer of cheese and bake the casserole in the hot oven until it is bubbly, approximately 15 minutes.
10. Removing the casserole from the oven, allow it to rest for 5 minutes and cut into four equal portions.
11. Into half a baguette carefully place one portion and repeat this procedure with the remaining eggplant and bread.
12. Serve hot with beverage or as a snack.