Baked Halibut with Cheese and Parsley Sauce
|Halibut steak||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , freshly squeezed|
|For the sauce|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Single cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped (A Handful)|
1. Wash the fish steaks.
2. Grease a baking dish or casserole large enough to fit the steaks, with butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4)
4. In the buttered baking dish, arrange the steaks in a single layer.
5. Sprinkle each with salt and lemon juice to taste.
6. Dot each steak with a blob of butter.
7. Pour the milk over the fish.
8. Cover the dish with foil or buttered wax paper sealing well at the edges.
9. Place the dish on the middle level of the preheated oven
10. Poach the fish for almost 45 minutes or until the fish is firm, white and flakes when tested with a fork.
11. While the fish is cooking, make the sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan.
12. Add the flour to the butter and sautÃ© it for a minute until gets a sandy texture, but do not brown.
13. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring vigorously to make a smooth sauce.
14. Let the sauce come to a boil while stirring constantly.
15. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes until it is thick.
16. Add the cheese and stir until cheese melts and blends in.
17. Season the sauce according to taste.
18. Place the saucepan over a basin of simmering water to keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
19. When the fish is cooked, drain the poaching liquid into the thick sauce to adjust the consistency.
20. Stir in the cream and parsley into the sauce.
21. Gently remove the skin from the steaks then remove the central bone.
22. Arrange the hot fish steaks on serving plates
23. Spoon the sauce over each steak so that they are completely coated.
24. Serve immediately.
Calories 1009 Calories from Fat 564
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97%
Saturated Fat 22.7 g113.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 254.1 mg84.7%
Sodium 640.7 mg26.7%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.8%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 92 g184.8%
Vitamin A 51.3% Vitamin C 52%
Calcium 49.6% Iron 28.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet