Desserts Angel Food Cake With Chocolate Sauce
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Superfine sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), at room temperature (About 12 Large)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Low fat chocolate sauce/Raspberry sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 325°F.
2) Sift flour 6 times with 1/2 cup of already sifted sugar. Keep aside.
3) In a very large bowl, add egg whites with cream of tartar and salt.
4) Using an electric mixer beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
5) Sift little of the remaining sugar over the whites.
6) With a whisk gently fold it in.
7) Repeat the process till all sugar is incorporated.
8) Sift little of reserved sugar/flour mixture over egg whites and fold it in.
9) Follow the process will all is incorporated.
10) Fold in vanilla, almond extracts and lemon juice.
11) Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
12) Bake for about 1 hour till the cake springs back when pressed at the center. If not, bake for further 15 minutes testing at 5-minute intervals.
13) Take it out from the oven and invert it on a rack.
14) Let stand for 1 1/2 hours for the cake to cool. The pan must be raised from countertop at least 1 inch for this.
15) When cool enough to handle, remove the cake from pan by loosening the sides with a metal spatula.
16) Pierce with a fork at intervals to mark portions. Pull apart with two forks to avoid mashing the cake.
17) Serve with chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce, or a mix of both sauces.