1. Clean the salmon and fillet it
2. Skin the fish properly
3. Remove any internal bones with a pair of pliers
4. Section the fish into two parts
5. Season the sides with salt and pepper and set aside till required
6. Rinse the ginger by washing off the syrup
7. Chop the ginger finely and mix the ginger with the currants and the softened butter
8. Spread this mix over the fish slices
9. Sandwich the fish together
10. Roll out the pastry and set the salmon on top of it.
11. Make a neat parcel of the fish and the pastry
12. Egg-wash the pastry and bake for 30-45 minutes. For the first 20 minutes, cook at 220° C / 425° F / Gas Mark 7 and then reduce the temperature to 150° C / 300° F / Gas Mark 2 for the remainder of the time.
13. Serve hot immediately with sour cream and chives