Grecian Tomato Sauce
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice to make about 1 cup|
|Canned plum tomatoes||70 Ounce, drained but 1 cup juice reserved, tomatoes lightly crushed (3 Cans, Two 28 Ounces Each, One 14 Ounces)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, lightly bruised|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 (Each 3 Inches Long)|
|Fresh mint leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
1) In a large heavy pot, over low heat, heat oil and sauté onion in it for 10 minutes until they are wilted.
2) Mix in crushed tomatoes, with the reserved juice, the tomato paste, honey, red wine, garlic, and cinnamon stocks.
3) Uncover and simmer the mixture for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
4) Take off the garlic and cinnamon sticks from the sauce and mix in the chopped mint.
5) Use immediately or cover the sauce and cool in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1376 Calories from Fat 502
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.2%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4585.7 mg191.1%
Total Carbohydrates 185 g61.7%
Dietary Fiber 24.7 g99%
Sugars 125.5 g
Protein 22 g43.4%
Vitamin A 274.8% Vitamin C 565%
Calcium 48.6% Iron 12.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet