Basic White Sauce
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk/Light cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Slowly heat butter just until melted and golden, not browned, stirring all the while. Remove from heat.
2. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth.
3. Add milk, a small amount at a time, stirring after each addition. Return to heat.
4. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5. Use this white sauce as base for other sauces or for soups.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 789 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.3%
Saturated Fat 37.4 g186.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166.1 mg55.4%
Sodium 1162 mg48.4%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g15.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.86 g3.5%
Sugars 23.9 g
Protein 18 g36.6%
Vitamin A 37.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 53% Iron 8.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet