|Lean salt pork||2 Ounce, blanched|
|Brown stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1) Peel the onion and carrot and dice them.
2) Remove the rind from the salt pork and dice it.
3) In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onion, carrot and onion along with the salt pork. For 10 minutes, cook over low heat, till the vegetables and pork have turned light brown.
4) Add the flour and blend well, stirring the roux till it is light brown.
5) Blend in 1 cup of brown stock very gradually, constantly stirring, till the mixture has properly cooked and has thickened.
6) Add the bouquet garni to the mixture and cover the pan with the lid. Between the burner and the pan, put an asbestos mat.
7) For 30 minutes, simmer the sauce.
8) To the pan, add the remainder of the stock and the tomato paste.
9) Cover the pan and for 30 more minutes, cook the sauce, frequently stirring.
10) Through the sieve, strain the sauce and skim off the fat. Correct the seasoning.
11) Serve and use as required.