Cherry Almond Sauce
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed pickling spices||2 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Maraschino cherries||1 Pound (1 Jar)|
|Whole blanched almonds||5 Ounce (1 Can)|
1. In medium-size saucepan combine and heat water, vinegar, brown sugar, pickling spices and anise seeds to boil rapidly for 10 minutes such that the syrup measures about 1 cup and set aside.
2. Into 1-cup measure, drain syrup from cherries and add water if needed to make 1 cup.
3. In a medium-size saucepan into cornstarch blend 1 to 2 tablespoons of the syrup such that smooth.
4. Then stir in the remaining syrup and through strainer pour in brown-sugar syrup to remove spices. Let it cook with constant stirring such that the sauce thickens and boils for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in butter or margarine.
6. Into each cherry, stuff an almond, stir into hot sauce and heat just to boil.
7. Serve hot with optional garnish.