Costolette Di Maiale Pizzaiola Braised Pork Chops with Tomato and Garlic Sauce
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lean center cut pork loin chops||6 (1 1/2 Inches Thick)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained, pureed through a sieve or food mill|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Green peppers||1⁄2 Pound, seeded and cut into 2 by 1/4 inch strips to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound|
1. To prepare the pork chops, trim all fat from pork chops.
2. In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until a light haze forms over it, brown the chops in this oil for 2 or 3 minutes on each side and transfer them to a plate.
3. Pour away most of the fat, retaining a little and in the remaining fat, cook the garlic, oregano, thyme, bay leaf and salt for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
4. To the pan add the wine and boil briskly such that the liquid reduces to about 1/4 cup, scraping in any bits of meat or herbs in the pan.
5. Into the skillet stir in the tomatoes along with the tomato paste and return the chops.
6. Baste the chops with the sauce, cover and simmer over low heat, basting once or twice, for 40 minutes.
7. In another large skillet, heat the unused oil and fry the green peppers in the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Add the mushrooms, toss them with the peppers for a minute or two and transfer both to the pan with the pork chops.
9. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer such that the pork and vegetables are tender and the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon heavily.
10. Serve hot with desired garnish.
In case the sauce is too thin, remove the chops and vegetables and boil the sauce down over high heat, stirring constantly.
Calories 353 Calories from Fat 208
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.8 mg21.6%
Sodium 364.5 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 22 g44.8%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 60.4%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet