Steamed Clams and Sausage In Spicy Sauce
|Red onions||2 Medium|
|Garlic clove||6 Medium|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||35 Ounce|
|Linguica/Chorizo sausage||3⁄4 Pound|
|Fruity olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Prosciutto||1⁄3 Pound (6 To 7 Medium-Thin Slice)|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon (Approximately)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Wash clams in cold water and keep aside.
2) Skin onions and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices to measure about 2 cups.
3) Peel and crush garlic under a chef's knife. Mince to measure about 2 tablespoons.
4) Drain tomatoes and reserve the juice. Cut tomatoes, just about enough to measure about 2 cups.
5) Remove linguiga (or chorizo) from its casing and crumble into a bowl.
6) Chop the prosciutto into 1 inch long strips and put aside.
7) To make sauce, take a large pan and heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in it. Stir in sausage and fry until golden brown and fat is released.
8) Use tongs or slotted spoon and place the sausage in a plate lined with double thickness paper towels. Allow to drain.
9) Pour the remaining oil into the same pan and stir in onion over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
10) Now, stir in garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes to taste, in the pan and stir to combine. Also add sausage, prosciutto, tomatoes and their juice, wine, bay leaves, and oregano.
11) Raise the pan heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Now, lower the heat to medium and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered.
12) Adjust seasonings as per taste. Arrange clams over the simmering sauce and cover the pan. Steam the clams for about 3-6 minutes, or until they open. Discard unopened clams.
13) Put the clam-sauce mixture onto a serving platter and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve at once.
Calories 729 Calories from Fat 211
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 127.8 mg42.6%
Sodium 1744.9 mg72.7%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.1%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 57 g114%
Vitamin A 46.1% Vitamin C 61.4%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet