Roast Goose with Sage Stuffing and Plum Sauce
|For sage stuffing|
|Large onions||3 Pound, peeled and quartered|
|Cubed herb seasoned stuffing mix||14 Ounce (Two 7 Ounce Packages)|
|Dried sage leaves||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted (1/2 Stick)|
|Condensed chicken broth||1 Can (10 oz), undiluted (1 Can)|
|Goose||14 Pound (Ready To Cook)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Plum sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar glazed apples||2|
|Galax/Other green leaves||2 , washed|
1. Make Sage Stuffing: Cook onion in lightly salted boiling water to cover until just tender—about 15 minutes. Drain. Chop onion medium fine.
2. In large bowl, with fork, toss stuffing mix with chopped onion, sage, butter and chicken broth until well blended.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove giblets and neck from goose. Discard giblets and neck. Wash goose, inside and out, and dry well with paper towels. Remove all fat from inside, and discard. Rub cavity with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Spoon dressing into neck cavity; bring skin of neck over back, and fasten with poultry pins. Spoon dressing lightly into body cavity; close with poultry pins, and lace with twine. Bend wing tips under body; tie ends of legs together.
5. Prick skin only (not meat) over thighs, back and breast very well. Place, breast side up, on rack in large roasting pan.
6. Roast, uncovered, 2 hours. Remove goose from oven.
7. Pour off fat from pan, and discard. Roast goose, uncovered, 2 hours longer. Pour off all fat, saving 2 tablespoons for Plum Sauce and discarding rest. Roast 1/2 hour longer, or until skin is nicely browned and crisp.
8. Place goose on heated platter. Garnish with Glazed Apples and the leaves. Pass Plum Sauce.