Braised Tomatoes with Chilies In Garlic Sauce
|Ripe tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried red pepper||2|
1) Wash tomatoes thoroughly and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into two halves and remove the seeds.If tomatoes are plum then quarter them lengthwise and if round tomatoes ar being used then chop into 1 inch wedges.
2) Peel of the garlic cloves and slice each of them lengthwise into 2 or 3 slices.
3) Cut the chilies lengthwise and deseed them.
4) Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat oil over high heat. Add mustard seeds and dry peppper pods to the hot oil very carefully, as the seeds will sputter and may pop out.
5) Cook the seeds and pods until the sputtering stops and pods turn darker. Shake the pan continuously.
6) Now, stir in garlic, chilies, and salt and saute for about a minute. Put in tomatoes and toss to evenly coat them with spices.
7) Allow the mixture to simmer, and then lower the heat to medium-low and cook the mixture for about 20 minutes, partially covered.
8) Take the pan off the heat and cover it completely. Allow the tomatoes to stand in it, until serving time.
9) Divide tomatoes into 4 dinner plates and serve hot.