Green Chili Casserole with Sweet and Spicy Tomato Sauce
|Green chilies/Two 4-ounce cans whole green chilies, rinsed drained, and patted dry||6 Ounce, roasted, peeled, and seeded (Poblano Or Anaheim)|
|Jalapenos||2 , washed|
|Minced garlic||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Monterey jack cheese||1⁄4 Pound|
|Sharp yellow cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Pound|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Half and half/Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Tablespoon (Sweet And Spicy)|
1) Dissect chilies into 2-inch-long strips.
2) Lightly grease baking dish with butter.
3) Transfer chilies to dish, add minced garlic and scallions. Toss to combine well.
4) Sprinkle grated cheese over chili mixture.
5) Add flour to the egg yolks and beat well.
6) Season with salt and pepper and beat well.
7) Beat whites with whisk beginning slow and increasing speed to medium to foam and form a stiff peak but not dry.
8) With a rubber spatula fold whites into yolks. Place the mixture into baking dish.
9) Using a fork swirl through egg layer and mix eggs to the chili mixture.
10) Place in oven and bake uncovered in 350-degree oven 25 to 30 minutes.
11) Halve avocado lenghtways, discarding the pit. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick crescents.
12) Cut onion into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Separate into rings.
13) Take out casserole from .
14) Serve garnished with chili powder, avocado slices, red onion rings, and chopped scallions. Serve with Sweet-and-Spicy Tomato Sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1809 Calories from Fat 1117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.5%
Saturated Fat 72.4 g361.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1220.2 mg406.7%
Sodium 2308.4 mg96.2%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g26.9%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 99 g198.9%
Vitamin A 164.8% Vitamin C 748.1%
Calcium 221.4% Iron 46.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet