Easy Espagnole Sauce
|Bacon slices||4 , minced|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Carrot||1 Medium, peeled|
|Stalk celery||1 , minced|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon (No Substitute)|
|Beef broth/Easy fish stock depending upon whether sauce is for meat / seafood||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Thyme||1 Pinch, minced (Fresh Or Dried)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a pan, stir-fry the bacon over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until crisp, remove and drain on a paper towel.
2) In the same pan, saute the onion, carrot, and celery in the drippings for about 8-10 minutes until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel.
3) In a saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat, stir in the flour and gently cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
4) Gradually stir in the broth, stir continuously and cook until slightly thickened.
5) Mix in the bacon, sauteed vegetables, and herbs, lower the heat and gently simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour. Skim off the scum from sides of the pan occasionally.
6) Strain the sauce into a saucepan, pressing the vegetables lightly through a fine sieve.
7) Add the tomato puree, stir and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the sauce is slightly thick.
8) Serve immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1185 Calories from Fat 703
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g123.3%
Saturated Fat 48.9 g244.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 200.4 mg66.8%
Sodium 4144.6 mg172.7%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.9 g31.6%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 28 g56.1%
Vitamin A 259.4% Vitamin C 20.2%
Calcium 16% Iron 43.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet