Angel Food Cake with Raspberry Sauce
|Sifted whole wheat pastry flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar substitute||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), divided (Plus One Tablespoon)|
|Egg whites||12 (Large Ones, 1 1/2 Cups)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh raspberries/1 (12-ounce) package no-sugar- added frozen raspberries, thawed||1 Pint|
1. For the cake: Heat oven to 375°F. Sift flour twice. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar substitute and salt to flour and sift again. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar substitute. Continue beating until egg whites are stiff but still moist.
3. Sift flour mixture over whites in 3 additions, folding in each addition thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Transfer batter to an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 minutes. Invert cake over a rack until completely cool, about 1 hour.
4. For the sauce: Combine orange juice and sugar substitute in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in raspberries and cook until they begin to break up and release juice, about 2 minutes. Set a strainer over a bowl and transfer sauce to strainer. Press berries to obtain juice.
5. To serve, run a long, thin-bladed knife or metal spatula around edge of the pan and lift cake from the outer rim. Run knife along the center tube; then run it along the bottom. Invert cake onto a platter. Use a serrated knife to cut into 12 slices; top each slice with sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 967 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8%
Saturated Fat 0.32 g1.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1075.2 mg44.8%
Total Carbohydrates 174 g57.9%
Dietary Fiber 34.8 g139.3%
Sugars 35.3 g
Protein 57 g114.9%
Vitamin A 8.1% Vitamin C 312.9%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 55.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet