Steamed Cracked Crab in Spicy Tamarind Sauce
|Crabs||4 , separated, cleaned, and cracked|
|Coarsely chopped white onion||1|
|Minced serrano peppers||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic cloves||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
For the crab reduction sauce:
• In a saucepan, place the smallest crab legs (8 to 12) with 8 whole cloves of garlic, ½ an anion, 2 stalks of celery cut in half, 5 cups of water and 2 bay leafs. Gently simmer until the liquid is reduced to 2 cups.
For the Tamarind Salsa:
• Peel the tamarind's shell and soak in water. Discard seeds, and just keep the pulp.
• Sauté chopped onion, minced Serrano peppers, minced garlic and minced ginger in two tablespoons olive oil 5 to 6 minutes. Add the crab sauce and soy sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
• In a blender or food processor, combine the sautéed ingredients with the crab sauce and tamarind pulp -- then process until smooth.
• Return the processed Indonesian sauce back to the pan and bring gently to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with water and slowly add to sauce while stirring it. Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
Steam the cracked crab pieces for five minutes then place in a large bowl. Next, add the tamarind sauce and coat well. Serve immediately. Make sure you have a bib and lots of napkins.