Ham And Leeks With Cheese Sauce
|Leek||1 (Not Too Large)|
|Cooked ham slice||1|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|White flour/Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Cooking liquid||1⁄4 Pint (From Leeks, 150 Milliliter)|
|Milk||1 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon (A Grating)|
|Grated cheese||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Whole wheat breadcrumbs||2 Tablespoon|
1. Trim and wash leeks
2. Blanch the leaks in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes until almost tender.
3. Drain the leeks and reserve the liquid.
4. Combine liquid with milk.
5. In a bowl, combine 50 grams of grated cheese with 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs.
Grease a shallow baking dish with butter.
6. Start a broiler 10 minutes before cooking time.
7. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over a medium flame.
8. Add flour to the butter and sauté for 1 minute.
9. Gradually pour in the liquid, stirring constantly to combine with the flour mixture.
10. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring continuously until it is thick.
11. Add the cheese and a pinch of nutmeg and simmer the sauce, stirring until the cheese has melted.
12. Take pan off the heat and set aside to cool slightly
13. Wrap each blanched leak in a slice of ham and arrange in the greased baking dish.
14. Pour the sauce generously to coat the leeks and top with the cheese and breadcrumb mixture.
15. Place the baking dish under the broiler and gratinate for 10-15 minutes until heated through and the cheese has melted
16. Remove dish from the oven and serve hot.