Individual Apple Sauce Date Pies
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated american cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned apple sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped pitted dates||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F
2) Take a mixing bowl and sift flour and salt together.
3) Using 2 knives or pastry blender, cut in the shortening and add cheese to the mixing bowl. Mix well to avoid formation of lumps.
4) Now, add water to hold the ingredients together. Chill the dough.
5) Alternatively, you can use your favourite pastry mix and add grated cheese to it, to make the dough.
6) Further, combine the remaining ingredients, apple sauce, dates, brown sugar, nutmeg and lemon rind to make the filling mixture.
7) Next, make flat balls from the dough and roll them out on a floured surface, to make individual pies (reserving enough for tops). Line individual pie plates with the pastry shell and place equal amounts of applesauce mixture into pie plates.
8) Use cold water to moisten the edges of pies. Roll out the reserved pastry dough and cover the pies. Use tines of fork to press the edges together and trim the pastry to edge of pie plate.
9) Prick the pie tops to allow the steam to escape while baking.
10) Lastly, bake the pies in the preheated hot oven for 30 mintues.
11) Allow the pies to cool down before serving.
Calories 494 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.3%
Saturated Fat 7 g34.8%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 12 mg4%
Sodium 85 mg3.5%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.2%
Sugars 40.3 g
Protein 6 g12.5%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 12.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet